The new building of the Admiralty won the hearts of the contemporaries by its elegance, immaculate proportions and purity of architecture. In such appearance, let alone minor alterations, the Admiralty has come to the present day.
The Admiralty remains the architectural and planning center of Saint-Petersburg and one of the most attractive monuments of early Classicism in the northern capital. Originally there was a ship-building yard in front of the Admiralty and ship works inside the building. In the 19th and the beginning of the 20th centuries the premises of the Admiralty were occupied by the navy establishments: Marine Ministry, Navy Headquarters and others. As of 1832 the Admiralty housed the College of Naval Architecture from where the history of Saint-Petersburg Navy Engineering Institute took root